Thursday 27 October 2011

AMBIENCE

Ambience is the “character and atmosphere of a place”. (Ambience, 2011). Thus meaning the feelings you get when you enter a particular environment. In relation to cooking, it could refer to the smells you get when you walk into a room. Ever came home from school and mum has made a delightful banana cake on your arrival home? Or some delicious chocolate chip cookies? And the amazing smell goes right up your nostrils before you can even lay your eyes on what will soon be in your stomach.
This, to me is the most amazing homely smell; just thinking about it makes me feel at home. The last time i experienced this was when I went home for the weekend. I had text mum when I left Dunedin to say I was on my way home (i live in Invercargill, not far from home) she did her usual mum reply with “k” as she is not a fan of texting! As we drove home I thought about the food that may be in our cupboards that I could steal and take back to Dunedin. I’m too poor to buy nice food for myself; the only time I had treats was after going home for a weekend! As we neared home I became anxious and hungry, I prayed mum had made some dinner but I wasn’t sure as I remembered it was Friday night - usually a “get your own night”.
After two and a half hours of travelling I was finally home! I grabbed my bag from the car and waved my friend who took me home goodbye. I neared the door, it couldn’t be true, the smell of fresh roast had filled my nostrils! I couldn’t believe my luck I had to pinch myself. What a wonderful day I thought to myself. I made it inside and dumped my bags on the floor. The smells surrounded me as I plonked on the couch with a big smile on my face and waited for my dinner. I had never felt so at home.
This story shows how the ambience (in this case smells) gave me a sense of feeling at home and feeling comfortable.
Ambience. (2011). Retrieved October 18, 2011, from Dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambience

No comments:

Post a Comment