Thursday 27 October 2011

The last time I cooked..

The last time I engaged in this activity was an interesting experience. Living in a flat with four other girls and the end of the year nearing, it is important we use the ingredients we already have in our cupboards. I searched the cupboards for something magnificent to cook but nothing grabbed my attention! I knew I had to make something, but what?
Coming from a farm, I was lucky enough to supply my flat with meat for the year. There seemed to be a surplus of mince, so it seemed appropriate to start with mince. We also had pineapple, bacon, tomatoes, cheese, feta cheese and spaghetti pasta. I knew it was time to get creative! Pizzas!!
I decided to make two pizzas, one with spaghetti Bolognese as the topping, and the other would just be an ordinary topping consisting of bacon, cheese, pineapple and tomato. The hardest part was over, now I just had to make them! I whipped up some dough for the basis and rolled them into nice circles. Meanwhile, mince was browning in the electric fry pan ready for me to throw some pasta sauce in and season it. While that was simmering, I cooked my spaghetti pasta and grated some cheese for the pizzas. I used the left over pasta sauce to go on my pizza bases and sprinkled some cheese on. By the time this was completed, my mince and pasta were ready! I chose to mix them together as it would taste nicer and be more appropriate for a pizza topping. I spooned the mixture onto one of the pizza bases and spooned some salsa on top. I lay some nicely cut feta cheese on top and my first pizza was ready for the oven! On to the second... This pizza was simple and easy to prepare. I opened a can of pineapple, cut it into bite sized pieces and lay it onto my already cheesed pizza base. I the sliced some bacon and sprinkled that over also. I sliced a nice big tomato and lay it nicely on top, a squirt of tomato sauce and the second pizza was ready for the oven!!
In the oven both pizzas went and to the sink I went. The dishes piled high and flour everywhere, this was going to take awhile! I began the long hard journey of completing the dishes, what a mission! Finally the pizzas were ready, I called out to my flat mates and apologised for the interesting meal I had just prepared. Finally it was time to sit down and relax with my flat mates over dinner. This was usually the only time we were able to have a conversation and relax. Funny how food can bring people together, even interesting food like a spaghetti Bolognese pizza.....

No comments:

Post a Comment